Saturday, June 23, 2012

I find that with me the first three days after anything traumatic are the most difficult...

This last week has been a very hard week.  I've tried to keep most people informed with what is going on, but my mind has been distracted.  I have had a few people contact me feeling sad that I didn't notify them ASAP.  I'm sorry if this is how you are first hearing of this.

Last Monday my sister and staff convinced me to go see my doctor.  I admit I was a little worried when my husband informed me I didn't look sick with my makeup on, but things didn't look right with it off.  Suzy was a bit smarter- "you just don't look yourself".  

I was certain I had an ulcer or something, but my stomach just didn't feel right and I had a low grade fever.  The doctor felt my stomach, and sent me for labs.  She said that she wanted to do the blood work before she got too aggressive and ordered a colonoscopy.  "Colonoscopy, pshhh".  I was NOT needing a colonoscopy.


The following day I was informed that I was anemic and they scheduled me for a colonoscopy in two days......

Friday afternoon I walked into Dr. Barnette's office to get prepared.  As I sat there waiting with my mom I complained to her that I couldn't believe the doctor was making me go through all of this just to rule things out.  

Long story short- my results were not as expected by any of us.  Before I left the office I had an appointment for a CT scan and an appointment to meet with a surgeon....  I'll admit, by this point I was pretty nervous.

Monday morning I was at Alta View drinking Crystal Light mixed with iodine and prepping for my scan.  Not horrible, but not fun.  I'm not a fan of IV's, I'm like my dad- I really hate needles!

Brandon and I waited 2 long days after that- we even met with the surgeon without all of the results back.  My appointment with him was basically a pre-op appointment going over details of my surgery IF we needed to do it.  He had my blood drawn again so they could run more tests.

That evening I received a call from Dr. Barnette and he had my biopsy results back.  He informed me that I do in fact have cancer and surgery was needed very soon.  

I will be going in for surgery on Thursday and everything will be sent to pathology so they can figure out what stage I'm in.  The surgeon is very confident that it is all in a general area and everything will be fine.  I also found out  yesterday that it is not showing up in my blood work yet so that is really good news!

I feel very lucky that my doctor sent me in for a colonoscopy 15 years early because of anemia-  Something I was just brushing off as life with 5 kids and a new business. 

My fingers hurt from texting so much so I've started this blog to keep everyone up to date with what Brandon and I feel like sharing and to keep myself busy while recovering.  I'm confident this will all be over soon so don't expect much from it :)  Maybe when it's all over with I'll convert it into my family blog that some of you have been bugging me about (miss Jen Yancey).

Keep us in your prayers and please be sensitive with things that might get to my children.  We want our children to hear everything from us first. 

Thank you everyone for your texts, messages, letters, etc...  I feel really lucky to have all of you in my life. 

Love all of you!
xoxo Becky

12 comments:

  1. So it takes a dumb thing like cancer for you to start a blog. I LOVE you! I sure wish this was a Becky prank. I'm sad & pissed that you have to go through this! Know this my dearest OBFF, you have sooooo much support & love coming your way! If ya ever need help updating this, I'm your girl. I'll see you soon at the hospital after the doctor removes that nasty thing that's making you sick. You are too dang strong to let something like this get you down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps... Brandon, Sending lots of love & support to you too! You know Becky has an army of friends behind her. I'm the leader:). Call me if you need ANYTHING at all 801-917-9367!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Becky...I am so sorry you are going through this...you and your sweet family are in our thoughts and prayers! Please know that we are here to help in any way we can. Sending lots of love, thoughts and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I m glad you started this blog, but for the reason you did. You are such a strong, positive person and you will get through this! Please know that I love you and i will be praying for you and your sweet family daily!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to write, i am the sad for the reason you started this blog, but glad you did. :)

      Delete
  5. Becky! Jen directed me to you blog. I am already inspired by you - just by reading what you named your blog and hearing that awesome song. I know you are a strong person and will give this cancer lameness one heck of a fight!!! And sharing your story will defintely mean that more prayers will be said for you and your cute family. I am praying for you already. Stay tough and get ready to kick cancer's butt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sweet Becky, I have to admit that I had tears rolling down my face when I was reading what happened-- But only because I Love you and hate how life can be so mean some times! I know what a wonderful, STRONG, amazing person you are, and you are going to win this fight! I also know, that even though life can be mean, good things always come out of hard thing! Thank you for starting the blog, so we can follow your progress. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I Love ya tons! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky- I am still in shock that this is happening to you! I don't think cancer knows who it's dealing with, though- so HA! Joke's on it! I will be praying hard for you and your cute family during this difficult time. Please know you have lots of love and support behind you. You can do this! This is just a major inconvenience for a little while- pretty soon you will be back to your crazy-busy life! I would love to visit you when you are up for visitors- but until then please let me know if there is anything I can do for you, OK? Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have an amazing attitude! We are praying for you and your family. I hope all goes well and that you feel loved and supported in all you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck tomorrow! I will be thinking about you all day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becky, such sad news but you are strong. You have strong people surrounding you .. Combined with faith.... You can run up any hill. Love your blog name. You'll be in my prayers. Hope to see you in July. XO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy cow Becky!!! I just heard. How crazy scary. Prayers for you and your adorable family.
    Mauree

    ReplyDelete